Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 6 - Glacier National Park

This is an update post. Found a hotel without high speed access in the room. So, for my first version, I was down in the business center getting bitten by some bugs.

We started out from Missolua, Montana and headed north to Glacier. The PIT stop was replaced by a McStop (Debbie took a gallon of tea from Panera yesterday).


Along the way, we passed Dayton.... Dayton, Montana, that is. A Tad bit smaller than the one we know.

As you entered Glacier Park you ran the length of McDonald Lake. We stopped once and the girls dipped their toes in the water. Then stopped to view McDonald Falls.


It's a long road into the park. Then there is the climb. Along the way we saw some "Snow Bridges", where the Snow melted out from under the other snow. One, was covered in debris, but was still very dangerous.

The Parking lot to the visitor's center at the top was full and they waved us on. We decided not to stop.


There were spots of snow on the mountains that Debbie thought looked like sand traps. Sarah asked what a sand trap was. You know, on a golf course. "Oh, you mean bunkers?", Sarah replied. Yes! Then Maria came up with a new term for them.... "Snunkers". Sarah bought a stuff black bear at gift shop and named it Snunkers.

On the way out of the park, we saw this Eagle's nest.

We had sandwiches for lunch just outside the park and dinner at McKenzie River Pizza Company. It's only found in Montana and Idaho, but it's good!

Then we drove toward Butte, MT for the night. On the way we saw more plains, more mountains and a few plataeus. I-15 also ran along and over the Missouri River. There were some very pretty spots along the way.

After dinner we drove to the hotel. The girls were bored. So, I tried to remember what it was like when I was a kid and bored... (and didn't have MP3 player and DS Gameboys). We sang songs! So I tried to remember some of the songs that we sang as kids.... First up was: "If you ever saw a fishy", and old girl scout song that I think my sister taught them; then we sang "Sipper Cider" from YMCA camp days, because I can't remember all the versus to "I met a Bear". Then I got stumped on more camp / car songs. "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and my Dad's drink song didn't seem appropriate. So, I started singing, "Do You Know Your Shepherd's Voice?", which the girls sung in choir. They sung it beautifully without music. Then Maria started them on another and another... I kept leading them on. When we ran out of those we sang "America the Beautiful" and Maria told us the story of the "Star Spangled Banner" and they sung that.

It filled the time to the hotel, gave the girls something to do, and entertained Mom and Dad. Thank you to my Mom and Dad, my sisters, and especially, Mrs. Lehman, who has given them such a great repatoire of sacred music!

1 comment: